Summertime Chilled Soups
Planning meals during the summer months can be difficult when the heat is relentless. And though the thought of cooking a hot meal is far from appealing, there is only so much salad one can eat. Change things up a bit with these recipes for chilled, smooth warm-weather soup. Delicioso!
Cucumber Basil Avocado Gazpacho
1 ripe avocado
1 cucumber, skin left on, seeds removed
2 small handfuls fresh basil
1 clove garlic
2 cups water
1 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Juice of 1 lime
1. Refrigerate all of the ingredients until they are cold.
2. In a blender, purée the chilled ingredients until smooth, allowing a few specks of green to remain throughout.
3. Return the soup to the refrigerator and chill again until it is ready to be served.
4. Garnish with thinly sliced cucumber circles and basil leaves.
3 ripe mangos
7-ounce container of plain, low-fat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup low-fat milk
1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoons mint leaves
1/2 Serrano pepper, minced
1. Slice the mangos in half around the large pit in the middle. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Put the flesh in the blender.
2. Combine all other ingredients in the blender.
3. Chill for at least an hour before serving.
Chilled Tomato and Peach Soup
1 clove garlic, roughly minced
3/4 cups shallot (about 1 medium), chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 pounds ripe heirloom tomatoes, quartered
1 pound ripe peaches, quartered
1 bunch fresh thyme, still wrapped
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2/3 cups heavy cream
4 teaspoons sugar
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1. In a pan, heat oil and sweat the shallot and garlic over medium low until translucent.
2. Add in tomatoes, peaches, and thyme and 1 teaspoon of salt. Simmer over medium heat until peaches and tomatoes break down, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes.
3. When looking soupy but still with a few chunks, remove from heat, remove thyme and puree the soup in a blender. Strain the soup into a clean pot.
4. Place strained soup back on medium-low heat. Add cream, sugar and cayenne pepper. Simmer on low for about five to ten minutes to allow flavors to meld.
5. Allow to cool slightly before chilling in the fridge for at least two hours.