Lose Weight With Cold-Weather Ensaladas
Why wait for summer to get your green on? Adding spices and cold-weather frutas and verduras, like grapefruit or beets and broccoli, make a healthy salad the perfect meal option.
“I love to feature bold, fresh flavors with herbs like cilantro, spices like cayenne pepper and fresh vegetables and fruits that are in season,” says Michelle Rivas, health and wellness aficionado at The Healthy Latina. Try to be as colorful as possible when putting a salad together. The combination of fresh fruits and vegetables in a salad will keep you full from fiber, in addition to providing essential nutrients. “Don’t be afraid to add a protein other than meat, like beans or nuts,” says Rivas. “Make salads more filling with fiber from quinoa or multi-grain rice.” For a dressing, Rivas always starts with a little olive oil for the flavor and the healthy fats. Aquí, some of Rivas’ favorite recipes.
Kale and Quinoa Salad
Ingredients (amount to your liking)
1. Cook quinoa in organic chicken broth, and add to a mix of fresh, chopped broccoli and kale.
2. Top with an organic garlic dressing, or Rivas’ dressing recipe below.
Black Bean Salad With Cilantro Lime Dressing
3 ears of corn
1 can of black beans
1 package of fresh tomatoes on the vine
1 package skirt steak pre-cut into strips
1 bunch of cilantro
Salt and pepper
1. In a large pot, set water to boil. Shuck the ears of corn and place in the pot with water. Do not salt the water because it will make the texture of the corn tough. Let boil for eight to 10 minutes.
2. While corn is cooking, open the can of black beans and strain the water out. Place in a large bowl and let sit. Dice the tomatoes into chunks and place in the bowl with the beans.
3. In a medium bowl, drizzle olive oil and toss skirt steak strips with salt and pepper. In a large pan, heat up a drizzle of olive oil and add the steak.
4. As the steak cooks, remove the ears of corn from the boiling water. “Shave” the kernels off with a knife and set aside.
5. For the dressing, loosely chop the cilantro and set aside. Juice the limes into a blender and add cilantro and a drizzle of olive oil. Blend the dressing until it is fully combined and the cilantro is very small.
6. Remove the steak from the pan and set aside. While the pan is still hot, toss the corn for extra flavor. For the final touch, slice an avocado and serve!
Sweet and Spicy Dressing
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tsp of red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Whisk ingredients together and splash over a bed of baby kale and spinach.
2. Add cut-up orange slices, sliced raw almonds or pistachios, and your favorite vegetable medley.